Independent Eminent Experts' Group
The Independent Eminent Experts' Group
was established pursuant to the Durban Programme of Action which requested "the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights, in follow-up to the Conference, to cooperate with five independent eminent experts, one from each region, appointed by the Secretary-General from among candidates proposed by the Chairperson of the Commission on Human Rights, after consultation with the regional groups, to follow the implementation of the provisions of the Declaration and Programme of Action."
It is mandated
to: (a) follow the implementation of the provisions of the Durban Declaration and Programme of Action in cooperation with the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights and assist the High Commissioner in preparing his annual progress report to the Commission and to the General Assembly based on information and views provided by States, relevant human rights treaty bodies, special procedures and other mechanisms of the Commission, international, regional and non-governmental organizations and national human rights institutions;
(b) assist the High Commissioner in the assessment and evaluation of the existing international standards and instruments to combat racism, racial discrimination, xenophobia and related intolerance with a view to preparing complementary standards.
In 2003, the Secretary-General appointed the following five independent eminent experts:
- His Royal Highness Prince El Hassan bin Talal of Jordan (resigned April 2015);
- Mr. Martti Oiva Kalevi Ahtisaari, former President of Finland (WEOG member who resigned in 2006 and hasn't been replaced yet);
- Dr. Salim Ahmed Salim, former Prime Minister of the United Republic of Tanzania, former Secretary-General of the Organization of African Unity and former President of the United Nations General Assembly (resigned in 2015);
- Her Excellency Hanna Suchocka, former Prime Minister of Poland;
- Dr. Edna Maria Santos Roland of Brazil, General Rapporteur of the World Conference against Racism, Racial Discrimination, Xenophobia and Related Intolerance.
In May 2018, the Secretary-General appointed the following additional independent eminent experts:
Documents from the Sixth session of the Independent Eminent Experts' Group (May 6-10, 2019) Documents from the Fifth session of the Independent Eminent Experts' Group (October 8-11, 2018)
- Professor Ibrahim Agboola Gambari of Nigeria, Founder/Chairman of the Board of Directors of Savannah Centre for Diplomacy, Democracy and Development
- Dr. Saied A. Ashshowwaf of Saudi Arabia, Associate Professor of Strategic Planning, Member of the Saudi Human Rights Council
The Independent Eminent Experts' Group did not hold a session in 2016 or 2017. Documents from the Fourth session of the Independent Eminent Experts' Group (April 28, 2015) Documents from the Third session of the Independent Eminent Experts' Group (February 4, 2014) Documents from the Second session of the Independent Eminent Experts' Group (February 21-23, 2005) Documents from the First session of the Independent Eminent Experts' Group (September 16-18, 2003)